Today is Indonesia's 71st independence day & my first recipe as well! Dirgahayu Indonesia!
Nasi Goreng Recipe
Nasi goreng actually means Fried Rice . Nasi goreng is one of very popular dishes among Indonesian society, from street food stall to the upscale restaurant you can easily find “nasi goreng” on their menu. I found many various of nasi goreng a.k.a fried rice in many asian restaurant but of course, it is not similar with what we called Nasi Goreng Kampung which is come from our traditional ways in the kampung ( village / country ) of making nasi goreng. Indonesian Nasi Goreng has a little touch of Kecap Manis in it, which can be translated into Sweet Thick Soya Sauce and some various optional topping such as kerupuk/krupuk/ slices of cucumber or pickles, sunny side up eggs or ommelete, etc
Ingredients for 1 or 2 people with moderate portion 🙂
- 1 cup of steamed rice ( preferably left over / over night rice )
- 1 or 2 eggs ( 1 beaten egg and one for topping if you like )
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt ( depends on how much you like it )
- 3 cloves garlic ( crushed or grounded )
- 1 small shallot. Half if it’s big
- 2 stalks of spring onion
- 1 red chili / thai pepper if you like it hot & spicy
- half fresh tomato ( diced )
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- fried crispy shallots (optional)
- cucumber (optional)
- kerupuk ( optional)
How to make
- In a medium frying pan or skillet, medium heat put the oil and if the oil already hot enough ( not too hot! ) put the shallot frist wait until golden brown, followed by garlic and chili, wait until it’s all fragrant but not burnt.
- Put the beaten eggs, just like you making scramble eggs and wait until it is a little bit half cook, stir well with shallots and garlic.
- put the rice and stir again until incorporated
- white pepper in, salt it, soy sauce & fish sauce in, sugar in, stir well, you want to put the sweet soy sauce ( kecap manis ) in the last step after all the sauces & salt in. This step will avoid the bitter taste if you make it burnt.
- If the nasi goreng almost done, check the flavor and add things you like such as salt if you want more salty. Add black pepper.
- Turn of the heat and add spring onion and stir until fragrant but still look green.
- Add sunny side up eggs, slices of cucumber and kerupuk if you want.
- Jasmine rice for nasi goreng is a little bit tricky because it tends to be sticky if we cooked it with too much water, basmati rice will be better if you could have more option
- Adding the spring onion can be done in the very first stages along with shallot & garlic but it will be half amount of the rest of spring onion so it won’t be too strong
- Serve hot or warm. Cold nasi goreng tends to make the rice harder and unpleasant to eat.
- For another variations, you can add chicken or shrimp too or any meat you like