Parkedel or perkedel is a popular Indonesian staple that easily found in any “warung” and “Padang Restaurant” as well. Parkedel can be eaten as snacks, side dishes. If you feel a little bit bored with those type of french fries, mashed potato or even simple baked potato, you might might want to try this recipe. I don’t really know how to how to make perfect description with this one, but it’s more like savory taste with bite size that you will never enough to eat one or two, trust me! 🙂
The ingredients are relatively easy to find and as much as possible, please use only fresh ingredients. I strongly believe that you can always find all the fresh ingredients and make it all from scratch. Alright, let’s bring it on 🙂
Parkedel kentang / Indonesian Potato Fritters
For 2-3 people ( well it depends on 😛 )
- 1 lbs russet potato / red skin potato
- 200 gr grounded beef, stir fried
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chinese selery
- 1-2 cloves of freshly minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fried shallot
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt to taste
- black pepper
- white pepper
- 1 yolk
- 1 egg whites
- canola oil or vegetable oil for frying
Step by step ;
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into wedges or cut them into 4 slices just to make them good enough for you to fry, but we do not make it crispy as french fries.
- In medium size dutch oven or deep fryer pan with a 350 – 357 degree of heat, fry the potato until it looks golden brown but still soft enough to be mashed later on.
- In another saute pan, placed 2 tbsp of oil, put mince garlic stir a little bit until half cooked and put the ground beef, stir well as well as adding pinch of black pepper & salt until the meat is well cooked or started to change the color into beautifully brownish looking. Turn off the stove, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mashed the whole fried potato until it well mashed, add the chinese celery, fried shallot, salt, pinch of white pepper, and just a tiny bit amount of freshly grounded nutmeg. Add the yolk and mix until it’s all well combined, last thing you want to add the meat and make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated. Oh, by the way, if you are a vegetarian, you can always skip the meat process.
- Take one 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp of the dough and roll it with your palms and make the shapes you wish, oval or round shapes with half inch thickness, we don’t want to make it too think somehow.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, add a little bit sprinkle of salt. Dip one piece at a time into the egg whites mixture, fry them in medium heat until it golden brown. Flip them only when one side is already brown so we don’t want to have soggy and oily fritters. Enjoy with your favorite ranch dip or sambal as well 🙂